The links between Buxton and the House of Cavendish go back over centuries.
When people come on one of our tours we tell them about those links and just how much the town of Buxton has benefited from their patronage.
Chatsworth is only 15 miles away from the town and over the years many noble men and women have travelled the road . One of the most famous was Mary Queen of Scots
The road would have been a rough track in the sixteenth century, used more by people on horseback and by teams of packhorses than by carriages. So Mary’s journey on this route is one of the first recorded in a carriage.it is hard to imagine the effect her processing would have had on the local people. It would have taken her at least a day for her to make the journey surrounded by an entourage of at least 6o.
The first regular stagecoaches did not travel along this route for almost another two hundred years, by which time the road had been improved considerably. In the sixteenth century people travelled to Buxton on foot or on horseback and goods were carried by pack-horses.
The accommodation here in Buxton must have seemed crude in comparison to the grandeur of Chatsworth which was first built in 1552 by Bess & William Cavendish
It was rebuilt over many years 1617-1707 and now has the following
–175 rooms estimate more space than 365 average sized three bed roomed houses
–1.3 acres roof
–3,426 feet of passages
–Lit by 2,084 light bulbs
We offer guiding between Buxton and Chatsworth as part of our historic tours.
Please contact for more information .